Eighty years ago, the October 1936 issue of Popular Mechanics featured the familiar “Vision of Peace” sculpture in the Ramsey County Courthouse-St. Paul City Hall. The sculpture had been unveiled earlier that year.
The sculpture was created by Swedish sculptor Carl Miles, and is based on his own vision of Native American spirituality, with no connection to any particular Native American beliefs. It depicts five Native Americans seated around a fire holding their peace pipes. Emerging from the smoke is an unnamed god of peace speaking to all the world.
The statute originally honored the Minnesota soldiers who died in the First World War. Subsequently, names of those who died in other wars have been added. The name “Vision of Peace” was given in 1994, during a ceremony involving the three major Indian tribes of Minnesota.
The 60 ton 38 foot statue sits on a revolving base which turns 132 degrees every 2.5 hours.