A hundred years ago, the setup shown here was the state of the art in mobile military communication. The illustration, which appeared in the June 1915 issue of Popular Mechanics, is a combination radiotelegraph and radiotelephone station which was carried in a motorcycle sidecar. It was powered by a DC dynamo run by a separate motorcycle engine mounted in the sidecar. It contained two transmitters, one for radiotelegraph, and one for radiotelephone. The transmitting range was stated as being approximately 100 miles for telegraphy and half that distance for telephony.
The outfit included a telescoping steel mast, which was transported strapped securely to the side of the machine.